Monday, December 31, 2018

Spider-Man On The Eve Of 2019

Since 2018 was the year of the Spider-Verse, I've been itching to get to some fun 2D Spidey animations. I've got a couple more I'd like to do, but I started with this one, which pays a bit of tribute to a shot from the intro to Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends -- a Saturday morning cartoon I never missed as a kid.


I really wanted to approach Spidey's design in the Marvel Vs. Capcom games with this, which in my opinion is exactly how he should look in a video game. I didn't go quite so cartoony exaggerated, but it was definitely in my head as I did it. 

I also just love classic Spidey -- the one I grew up reading. With all of these crazy new versions of the character out there nowadays, I really wanted to bring it back to the original.

But even when I first started reading the comic books -- in the early to mid-80s -- they gave him a completely new costume which was not without some controversy. Looking back on it, I can't believe what a radical departure the black and white suit was compared to the original.

Anyway, I've always had a soft spot for it, so I wanted to depict the two versions of Spider-Man I grew up with -- pre-Ben Reilly-clone-Miles-Morales-Spider-Gwen-etc Spider-Man.

(Though it could be cool to include the 2099 version here, since that particular book was among the last I bought before I stopped buying comics).

I'd love to just keep doing these for the next month, but I've got an Animation Focus assignment to get to work on. So much I wanna do. It's past 4 am. Where can I find the time?


No comments: