Thursday, January 31, 2019

Don't Call Me Stupid

I finished my January Animation Focus session with the great Carolina Lopez Dau last week, which produced the following:


It could maybe use another refinement pass, but I think I'm done with it for now.

I've been wanting to animate to a clip from A Fish Called Wanda for years now, and I ended up going with this one because it's short, which allowed me to go deep on it in the time that I had available to work on it.

I used the old, reliable -- and excellent -- Morpheus rig, which allowed me to make it look a little bit like Kevin Kline's Otto.

For shits, here are a couple of the early blocked-out passes to get a sense of where I started.




After my first feedback session with Carolina, I reworked the blocking pass entirely and came up with something much closer to the final piece. I feel like I could have gone in any number of directions with this, and I purposely avoided watching the actual scene from the movie in the interest of keeping the performance fresh and my own.

And besides, who could possibly beat Kevin Kline as Otto? Certainly not me.



No comments: