Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ben's Online Portfolios

Part of being unemployed means you have to time assess what you've done and see where the deficiencies lie in your portfolio.

In creating my new website, I first dumped everything I could think of on there, only to be given a soul-crushing critique by the great Horia Dociu (Art Director at Sucker Punch Productions), after which I pared it down to the bare essentials that sell me as a senior animator:

http://bhopanimation.carbonmade.com/

I've still got holes to fill there. The Life Drawing & Sketchbook section is extremely lacking, and I hope to remedy that by attending some life drawing sessions this weekend and next week.

More importantly, there are still some things I want to do to sharpen up my reel. I'm working on an extended action sequence featuring a soldier and a big robot, since it seems everyone wants to see a guy with a gun doing acrobatics.

And after doing 11 Second Club's February competition, I really would like to do another acting animation from an audio clip from the great '80s comedy, "A Fish Called Wanda."

Once I do those two things, I'm going to try to get some feedback from fellow animators and see if they can help me identify any other ways I can improve my reel. I do feel that if I do a good job on them, however, my reel will be in a good place.

For shits and giggles, I've also put my various graphic design-related projects onto a separate site:

http://www.benhopper.portfoliobox.me/

I sometimes have as much fun doing graphic design as I do animating, I just don't get as much practice as I would like. Hopefully that changes with all this free time I have now.

No comments: